Notes for Buyers
REGISTRATION: Bidders wishing to attend a live auction in person are required to register and obtain a bidding number. Bidders wishing to bid in an online-only auction must register to bid on the auction site.
ABSENTEE BIDDING: Absentee bids must be confirmed in writing (by mail, fax or email) no later than the close of business the day before the sale. Absentee bids will be executed as cheaply as other bids allow.
ONLINE BIDDING: Our online bidding platform enables bids to be submitted to the auction via the internet. To use our system, you will need a computer or mobile/tablet device with a reliable internet collection. Download the free Michael Treloar Auctions app for iOS and Android, or bid through our website (auctions.treloars.com).
TELEPHONE BIDDING: Arrangements for telephone bidding on live auctions must be confirmed in writing (by mail, fax or email) no later than the close of viewing the day before the sale. Michael Treloar Pty Ltd will not be held responsible for any error or failure to execute bids. This service is available only for lots with a lower estimate of at least AU$900.
METHODS OF PAYMENT: Payment may be made in cash, by bank cheque, or by bank transfer to our account. Credit card payments will incur a fee of 1% of the invoice total for Visa, Mastercard and American Express, and 4% for Diners Club. Personal cheques may be accepted by prior arrangement.
COLLECTION: Lots may be collected from the venue during or immediately after the sale (live sales only), or from our premises at 196 North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000 Australia, between 10 am and 5:30 pm any day of the following week. Packing and despatch can be arranged by us and will be at the buyer’s expense. If any lot sold is not collected and paid for within seven days, the auctioneer shall have the right to resell the lot either by public or private sale, and any deficiency on resale together with any other costs incurred shall be borne by the defaulting buyer.
ESTIMATES: The estimated prices are provided as a useful guide and should not be taken as definitive. However, they have been assigned conscientiously, and a bid between the estimates should have a good chance of success.
Conditions of Sale
1. In the case of live auctions, bids may be placed in person, on our online bidding platform, by absentee bid, or by telephone. In the case of online-only auctions, bids may be placed on our online bidding platform or by absentee bid.
2. The auctioneer may, without giving any reason therefore, refuse to accept the bidding of any person or persons.
3. In placing a bid, by any method, the bidder undertakes to purchase the lot in question in the event that his/her bid is the winning bid.
4. A bid may not be revoked or rescinded once it has been accepted by the auctioneer or by the online bidding platform.
5. The highest bidder shall be the buyer.
6. In the event of any dispute, the auctioneer may re-submit the lot or may decide the buyer, at his discretion, and his decision shall be final.
7. Each bid shall be an advance as determined by the Bidding Increments table.
8. The auctioneer may require the successful bidder to pay forthwith the whole or any part of the purchase price.
9. Lots are in all respects at the risk of the buyer at the fall of the hammer.
10. The successful bidder shall be deemed to be the buyer and be personally liable unless it has been agreed in writing at the time of registration and prior to the sale that a bidder is acting as agent on behalf of a third party and that such third party is acceptable to Michael Treloar Pty Ltd.
11. LIMITED GUARANTEE.
11.1. All lots are carefully examined and every attempt is made to describe any faults or deficiencies found.
11.2. It remains true that descriptions, especially of condition, are expressions of opinion. Prospective buyers are therefore asked to make their own inspections during the public viewing, and to satisfy themselves as to the condition and completeness of any lot on which they intend to bid.
11.3. In the event of any book being found by the buyer to be defective in text or illustration and not so described, Michael Treloar Pty Ltd undertakes to rescind the sale and refund the full purchase price, provided that the book is returned within 14 days of the auction together with a written notice of the defect, and provided that the buyer satisfies Michael Treloar Pty Ltd that it was defective at the date of the auction.
11.4. This guarantee shall not cover:
11.4.1. the absence of half-titles or divisional titles, errata leaves, advertisement leaves, plate lists, subsequently published plates, appendices, supplements or volumes, or error in the enumerating of the plates;
11.4.2. any defect not affecting the completeness of text or illustration;
11.4.3. lots comprising three or more items where the lower estimate is $500 or lower;
11.4.4. periodicals, atlases, or books already described in the catalogue as incomplete or defective in text or illustration;
11.4.5. any defects announced at the time of the sale.
11.5 The benefits of this guarantee are not assignable and are applicable only to the original buyer of the lot.
12. Title in items purchased does not pass to the buyer until full payment has been received.
13. A buyer’s premium of 20% (including GST) of the hammer price of each lot is payable by the buyer.
14. An additional transaction fee of 3% of the hammer price will be charged on bids placed online.
15. Unless alternative arrangements are made, invoices for items purchased online will be charged to the credit card on file four business days after the issuance of the invoice.